Monday, March 30, 2009

Weekend Review V


this weekend was almost TOO crazy to even do a review post. My heart can't take the excitement anymore as there were some UNREAL games and some absolutely HUGE upsets.

UVA-Maryland was the best game I've seen in a while. The game was back and forth but Maryland was leading 9-6 late in the game when the Hoos came back and buried 3 goals to tie it up at 9. After that, the scoring ended and the overtimes began. Yes, overtimeS. It felt like there were 50 extra periods when Carroll netted the game winner for Virginia. Both keepers made save after save after save after save after save. For my vote, the MVP has to go to Ghitelman because he came up big time and time again for the Wahoos when it counted most.

Cuse came back on Loyola to win as well and keep my #1 and #2 teams set. There was some other really good D1 action this weekend but I'm not even going to mention it as these two games were some of the best I've seen and in my opinion cement UVA and Cuse as #1 and #2. I guess it is worth mentioning that UNC [whom I like as a team] beat Hopkins in a really close game but until UNC can beat a team in its own conference, I'm going to hold off on considering them a contender in any real sense.


Tech beat Molloy 16-15 in D2 action while Mercyhurst beat Dowling 8-7. Adelphi, Post, Merrimack, LeMoyne and Bentley all won their games as well. It is a pity that D2 gets such a limited number of teams in the playoffs as a contender will surely be left out this year but that's why the regular season matters so darn much!


Gburg beat Salisbury AT Salisbury. This hasn't happened in AGES. 80 home games ago SU lost to Lynchburg at home and 55 games overall ago SU lost... at all. This could be a rare event so cherish it while it last Gull-haters. SU is still a top 5 team in my book, EASILY. Haverford beat WAC 8-5, Tufts came back to beat Wesleyan [who was without Spike Malangone] 12-10 in Medford and Stevenson squeaked by an unheralded Wesley squad 12-11. A team to look out for other than Colby is Geneseo. I think they can challenge Cortland for the SUNYAC crown if they keep it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment